Thursday, February 28, 2008

Tarbaby redux (to the Nth power)

In a 1931 interview, Marine Corps General Smedley D. Butler (TWO-time Medal of Honor recipient) said:

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

I wonder what he'd have to say if he were alive today? "State-sponsored terrorism" is the continuing hallmark of U.S. foreign policy, whether it's Wilson sending assassins to poison Pancho Villa or Eisenhower's CIA coup overthrowing the elected government of Iran in 1953 and replacing it with "our friend" the Shah. And then there's the 1957-58 Marine incursion into Lebanon to give control of that country to the Christian minority.

Gosh! I wonder why "those people" dislike and distrust us? Most of our international problems are simply a case of the chickens coming home to roost.

Remember a few years back when some of us were having Viet Nam flashbacks and you Bushies were on that “Mission Accomplished” bandwagon? No, no, no; it’s NOTHING like VietNam. Right. Can you say, “Hearts and minds?” Thought so.

What’s that stale joke?

How do you spell Viet Nam in Arabic? I-R-A-Q.

It took us less time to defeat Germany AND Japan in WWII than it has taken us to totally fuck up Iraq and turn it into our nation's tarbaby of insanity and death. And meanwhile, here at home, stripping the citizens of this country of our basic constitutional rights. A two-front war, if ever there was one.

Good going, you radical right dickheads! Oliver Cromwell himself couldn’t have fucked things up more completely.

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent. I'm amazed every time I hear the "why do they hate us" statements from people. It really doesn't take a lot of looking to figure at least *some* of it out.

    ReplyDelete