Thursday, March 27, 2008

10 things I've done that you (probably) haven't

Stolen from here.

The idea is to note things you've done that you think might be unique or, at least, rare. You might be surprised by how many people end up saying "Hey, I've done that, too!" List them in your blog and let the fun begin. (Alternatively, you could add your list in comments here or put a link back to any entry you write.)

Here's my list:

1. Double back sommersalt, and I even did it back in the days when we did floor-ex on the actual wood gym floor, not those lovely padded, spring-loaded floors they use now. For that matter, just consider this entry a list of gymnastics tricks: double front in vaulting, peach basket, planche, fliffis, German giant, etc.

2. Piloted a canard aircraft - this one. They are the absolute shits!

3. Rode out a hurricane at anchor on a sailboat (Rita - 2005). (And survived Katrina, for that matter.)

4. Competed in Modern Pentathlon.

5. National Merit Finalist.

6. Been next to Jim Wickwire at a mountaineering event and survived. (Kind of a joke but not completely. A number of people have died while climbing with Jim and even his law partner was murdered in a bizarre case of mistaken assumptions. I don't wanna call him a "typhoid Mary," but...) Parenthetically, if you follow the link you'll see Chris Kerrebrock's name in the writeup; he's the first guy I did Mt. Rainier with. RIP.

7. Kendo and iaido.

8. Was a librarian.

9. SCUBA Divemaster.

10. In a rock band in the 60s whose (only) record is rated #31 on this list of the "top 100 garage 45s of the 60s." A copy of this deathless two-sided musical masterpiece sold on eBay in June of 2007 for almost $1700.00. Yes, that decimal point is accurate. Shocked the hell out of me, too. I have a copy, if anybody wants to make me an offer. I'll even autograph it. (grin)

and a bonus

11. Married Ronnie and fathered MJ and Chloe! The best entry of 'em all!

C'mon! Do a list yourself. You know you wanna!

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen this list done, and it's very cool. I'm afraid to do one, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Wow, mine would be so boring compared to yours and Ronnie's. However, I have done two on your list. Not saying which two ... (No, People-who-know-me, NOT the librarian one.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura, you can't tease us like that! Now you *hafta* do a list. Sandra balked in her comment above but she eventually did one. How can you resist emulating Sandra Dodd, one of the great unschooling voices?

    ReplyDelete