Thursday, June 12, 2008

Sailing, sailing

over the bounding, choppy, always-a-PITA Gulf of Mexico.

I've never had a completely swell time on or crossing the GoM and my last time, with the family in 2005, was pretty much the worst ever, post-Katrina, post-Rita, and pre-Wilma.

However, prelimiary word from the surveyor on my pal Bob's (potential) boat is very positive, so it looks like I'll be flying to New Orleans so we can fly to Miami and sail Gort back to New Orleans, right past the idyllic Florida Keys and straight out across the middle of the fucking GoM!

On the good side, the theoretical typical weather for early July is for winds of 10~15 from the Southeast(ish) and waves of 3~4 ft.

Idyllic. Perfect for a scoot from the Northwest passage at Key West to the Gulfport fairway, leading to the ICW to New Orleans. (No Mister GO for us!)

What are the odds? (When's the last time your weatherman was accurate?)

Like the man said, hope for the best but plan for the worst. Honestly, I'm expecting at least one day of winds at 30G45 (inevitably from the "wrong" direction) and seas of 8~10 ft. The GoM is a treacherous maneater. That's why gawd invented the 406 EPIRB.

On the very excellent side, this will be the sail Bob and I should have had together thirty years ago or, at least, three years ago. No matter the weather, it'll be an exquisite adventure. Plus, for Bob, it will include his son, Tim, as our third crewmember. That'll be a wonderful bonding experience.

Look for more details as things progress. I expect to arrive in Miami on July 1 and set sail within a day or two of arrival.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll have a wonderful,exciting (& yes-wild!) time. I wish you good weather! Sorry to hear of your rat. I've heard that they are good pets, but not sure our Domino could stay away from it if we had one! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. "On the very excellent side, this will be the sail Bob and I should have had together thirty years ago or, at least, three years ago. No matter the weather, it'll be an exquisite adventure."

    Hey! I'm reminded of that Bill Bryson book, "A Walk In the Woods" where he and his old college buddy decide to walk the Appalachian Trail! (I bet they wish they had had one of those beacon thingies.) I think you've got a great book, here, Frank!

    Best of luck with the sail. You guys amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Mandy,

    I'm sure hoping for good weather. I could use a "boring" passage!

    Hi, Laura,

    Being an old codger, I remember the days before GPS, etc. Ever tried to take a sextant shot from the deck of a sailboat pitching and rolling in 10 ft. waves with 35 kts. of wind? Accuracy is not really a part of the equation. I LOVE all the new electronic toys, especially the ones like 406EPIRBs whcih can get the Coasties precisely to you in mere hours, if necessary. Sweet! I'm planning/hoping to NOT use the 406!

    If Bob and I started telling stories of our many adventures and misadventures together, beginning with our college gymnastics escapades... well, yeah. It'd make for some amusing reading. VBG!

    ReplyDelete