Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Leftovers, anyone?

We're pretty bad about cleaning out our fridges but I think Bob may win the Worst Fridge Ever award.

In anticipation of going to the bank and doing the closing on the sale of his building this afternoon, he was spending the morning doing some final cleanup on the last-to-be-repaired space, a two-bedroom apartment on the upper floor. One of the final tasks was getting rid of a fridge which has sat unpowered and unopened (THANK YOU, JESUS!) since Katrina. There was a lot of post-Katrina talk and sad laughter about all the rotten and rotting fridges in the months following the storm but I think that waiting THREE YEARS to get rid of a fridge is probably a prize-winner. Maybe not.

It could be the title of an interesting novel:

The Last Katrina Fridge

And in anticipation of our sail starting next week, I'm happy to say, "Goodbye, Dolly!" Furthermore, I don't wanna hafta say "hello" to any new blowhard friends. Please, cross your fingers for us to have an unexciting passage.

5 comments:

  1. All good nautical karma sent your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a fabulous, safe journey! Will be excited to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Steve once didn't unpack his van after a campout for a whole year. (He had engine trouble on the the way home, and he just parked it in his driveway and drove other cars.) That has been my known record until your fridge story. Steve's van was nothing to a three-year-old unpowered fridge.

    I hope you have adventures of the slightly exhilarating kind, where you get lots of sleep, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you for your good wishes. We hope to see fellow unschoolers Gail, Broc, Brenna, and Logan in Florida before we cast off. And I hope to share interesting-but-not-harrowing tales when I return.

    Meanwhile, I'm VERY busy trying to learn nothing while Sandra celebrates her birthday. Happy birthday! I remember back when I was that young! (grin)

    ReplyDelete