Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I voted today

My political leanings should be pretty obvious from my posts and my Meez. At root, however, I am simply an American, one who believes in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights and who is always hopeful about our political process, even when it seems to have gone terribly wrong. If you agree with me about this presidential election, by all means, GO VOTE! Even if you disagree with me, I still exhort you to vote. If there's integrity in the process, there'll be integrity in the results.

Participate! Government is not "them;" it's us. Well, it should be us.

"The greatness of America lies not in being more enlightened than any other nation, but rather in her ability to repair her faults." - De Tocqueville. Let's stop breaking shit and get in there and start fixing some of the broken stuff.

"Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner." - usually attributed to Ben Franklin but probably from James Bovard. John Stuart Mill (the darling of radical libertarians, most of whom seem not to have actually read him, given their beliefs) wrote at length, often referencing De Tocqueville, on the tyranny of the majority.

Please, vote!

Frank - proud to be a liberal American

2 comments:

  1. I vote. Leaning liberal, but mostly interested in individual rights. I don't like guns, never owned one, but I'll defend your right to keep and bear arms. I won't burn a flag, but this country's roots are in dissention. The CIA, FBI, NSA have no right to listen to my personal phone calls. What happens in a personal residence between two consenting adults is their business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been enjoying reading through your blog!

    This is the big question for me around voting. Is there integrity in the process? I'm not sure that there isn't, but I definitely wonder about it.

    ReplyDelete