Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Christmas meme

Yeah, I know, it's another meme. Everyone in my online tribe is writing meaningful, beautiful posts about unschooling and the meaning of life but here I am doing silly memes. Well, my only excuse is that life is sometimes silly and perhaps it should be silly more often. Also, I am writing a multithousand word essay about unschooling in the background. One day it may come to light. Or not.

Meanwhile, taken from Holly, here's the Christmas Meme.

1. Real tree or artificial? Real. We're not sturdy, historically-appropriate "vegetarian hunters" like the grandparents, who go out into the mountains to stalk and bring down their own tree every year but we do have our own little tradition of going to the nearby tree place and picking out an affordable piece of greenery.


2. When do you put up the tree? When we get around to it. Some years it's right after Thanksgiving, some years it's pretty close to Christmas itself. No consistency.

3. When do you take down the tree? Again, no consistency. Mostly when it becomes too much trouble to work around it. Might be right after New Year's, might be on the Epiphany, might be in time for Chloe's birthday in March.

4.Wrapping paper or gift bags? Historically paper. Might switch to reusable/recyclable bags this year.

5. When do you start Christmas shopping? Depends on the year and what's going on. In '05 we finished shopping before August when we moved aboard the Zombie Princess. This year, we did some shopping in Europe in September. Even if we start (and theoretically finish) early, we always wind up shopping right up to Christmas. Ronnie does most of it.

6. Who is the hardest person to buy for? Me. If you're talking about me shopping for others, Ronnie.


7. Easiest person to buy for? Friend Anita (girlfriend of my BFF Bob), the original "crazy cat lady." Anything feline-related will make her happy.

8. Angel on top of the tree, or star? Being atheists, we have a huge, beautiful, lighted-from-within angel, of course.


9. What is the worst Christmas gift you ever got? School uniforms. Doubly nasty cuz it was clothes, usually a loser of a gift per se, and to compound the tragedy it was *school uniform* clothes. Ick! Yeah, thanks, folks. That's just what I wanted for Christmas, more stylish Marine gear! I'll treasure that shit for years. Really.


10. What is the best gift you received as a child? Books. I've always loved books.


11. What is your favorite food to eat at Christmas time? Rosie's Christmas Cookies (Click the phrase to go to the recipe post.).


12. What do you want for Christmas this year? I want the Constitution back! I think I might even get it, starting after January 20th. On a more immediate level, although I don't know what's more immediate than my rights as a citizen, I want an mp3 player, not an iPod.

Play along if you want! If you decide to play, leave me a comment and let me know.

5 comments:

  1. Nice pic!

    I would have much fun with this...however, I think I'm going to pass this year...maybe I'll do it after Christmas, say like a half year Christmas?

    Hugs around up there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your meme's Franko! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Real tree or artificial?
    Real, nothing like the smell of pine!!! Plus I put up artificial trees all damn day!!

    2. When do you put up the tree?
    The first day after Thanksgiving that I can get off of work at a reasonable hour!

    3. When do you take down the tree?
    After the New Year.

    4.Wrapping paper or gift bags? Paper usually left over from last year.

    5. When do you start Christmas shopping?

    I am trying to go today ;-)

    6. Who is the hardest person to buy for?
    Cori, I rely totally on divine inspiration to get her gift. Wandering around the French Quarter helps too.

    7. Easiest person to buy for?
    Mike Chalona, he is a Star Wars nerd too so....

    8. Angel on top of the tree, or star?

    Bows

    9. What is the worst Christmas gift you ever got? A Michael Jackson doll .. with the red leather jacket and glove...He's BAD!!!!

    10. What is the best gift you received as a child? Books. I've always loved books.

    11. What is your favorite food to eat at Christmas time? Cheesy crab dip!!

    12. What do you want for Christmas this year? I really would like the flooring fairy to drop off 800sq ft of flooring ;-) but that ain't gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I played! http://ivorygrace7.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-meme.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just realized that this is a two years old post. I somehow had it open on my computer and was in the mood for answering questions. I guess I am a little late to the party!

    ReplyDelete