Friday, March 13, 2009

The airwaves at 18

My pal Steph over on SayItAgainSammie did this and I found it interesting. The thing that jumped out at me in my initial search is that I didn't like the results I found. I tried several compilations of "top 25 of 1966" before I could hold my nose and use one. One of them had THREE Sinatra offerings. Are you fucking kidding me? That worthless asshole? Blow me! So, I chose another "top 25" list. Guess I was listening to different radio stations at the time.


Top 25 of 1966

1. The Ballad Of The Green Berets, SSgt. Barry Sadler. The Kingo of Jingo. Fascist crap masquerading as music. Sure, we can win this war, kids. All we gotta do is send more troops! The Vietnamese people love us. Really.
2. Cherish, Association. They did nice harmonies. I'm stoping there cuz my momma said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." Artists I hate, like SS Sadler above, get the "special exemption" to this rule and I dis 'em anyway! I didn't *hate* The Association.
3. (You're My) Soul And Inspiration, Righteous Brothers. Yeah, yeah. White guys doing soul. They were ok.
4. Monday, Monday, The Mama's and The Papa's. Ms&Ps were ok but they never really blew my skirt up, ya know?
5. 96 Tears, ? and The Mysterians. Snicker. I got to set my keyboard on that cheesy, funky, whiny tone when doing this song, so it was like kinky fun. Also, my band almost got back together a few years ago to do a show with ? and the Mysterians. We shoulda. That woulda been fun.
6. Last Train To Clarksville, The Monkees. Hated the Monkees. Still hate 'em. Next.
7. Reach Out I'll Be There, Four Tops. Four Tops were cool but this is not their best work.
8. Summer In The City, Lovin' Spoonful. I liked a lot of the Spoonful stuff. This was a pretty fun one. Always hot in New Orleans so it made sense to me.
9. Poor Side Of Town, Johnny Rivers. Johnny Rivers is a cocksucker. His "breakout hit" was when he flat-out stole Huey "Piano" Smith's Rockin' Pneumonia and just replaced Huey's vocals with his. Hit the WHITE charts and off Johnny went. And did Huey ever see a dime from that? Fuck no! COCKSUCKER, I say.
10. California Dreamin', The Mama's and The Papa's. Ms&Ps again. Nice harmonies and all, blah, blah, blah.
11. You Can't Hurry Love, Supremes. More whiny Supremes. I was never very fond of 'em and this lame turd didn't change my mind.
12. What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted, Jimmy Ruffin. What became of the angsty, hyperbolic teen anguish of the 50s? Teen Angel, can you hear me? It turned into lame, self-indulgent, over-orchestrated schlock in the 60s.
13. These Boots Are Made For Walkin', Nancy Sinatra. Kill me now. At least she's not her dad.
14. Born Free, Roger Williams. How are these fucking old-people orchestrated things creeping into a rock'n'roll top 25?
15. Strangers In The Night, Frank Sinatra. Kill HIM now. Thank gawd this nasty fucker is dead. How do I hate thee? Let me count the ways. No, there is not enough time. Let me sum up…
16. We Can Work It Out, The Beatles. Pre-psychedelic Beatles. Not their best, not their worst.
17. When A Man Loves A Woman, Percy Sledge. Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Percy Sledge got soul. Well, some anyway.
18. Winchester Cathedral, New Vaudeville Band. Quirky tune. What do they call this kinda crap? It's like Weird Al but not as interesting or well done.
19. Hanky Panky, Tommy James and The Shondells. Kinda white and nerdy but not terrible.
20. Good Lovin', Young Rascals. Ahhh, back when they were the YOUNG Rascals. I like this tune a lot. Gets ya movin'.
21. Paint It Black, Rolling Stones. Hard-driving Stones. I liked this one.
22. My Love, Petula Clark. I kinda remember Petula but don't remember this tune.
23. Lightin' Strikes, Lou Christie. Ice pick thru my ears. Die, Lou Christie, die.
24. Wild Thing, Troggs. Love the Troggs. That's rock 'n' roll.
25. Kicks, Paul Revere and The Raiders. Another made-for-tv group. Not terrible, just soulless, gutless, uncreative. Sponsored by Vox, ferChrist'ssake.

So, you got 25 you wanna share?

1 comment:

  1. You are a harsh and grumpy old man.
    -=-Ms&Ps were ok but they never really blew my skirt up, ya know?-=-

    Maybe if you'd HAD a skirt... I really liked their stuff a lot, but I was aware of the fact that except for looking at Michelle Phillips, there wasn't much for guys there. John and Denny were the kinda musicians who could get a girl but might not've been alpha males among the dicktoters.

    The Monkees were a load of posing moldy hay in general, but they did a few Mike Nesmith compositions that weren't shameful. By then most people weren't listening anymore. And again, there were lures for those with skirts. And somewhere in the lizard brain of those of us born in the early 50's, Circus Boy had grown up and was beating his chest (drumwise). I don't expect you to understand.

    "I'll Be There" ends up being a theme/feature in an odd movie Holly and I like with Craig Ferguson and Charlotte Church. It's a teen girl fantasy, in part, and an AA vehicle, but there are cool parts. Anthony Head plays a bad guy (but it's social bad, not action-bad).

    Holly has lately been enjoying The Lovin' Spoonful. Just loaded several into her new iPod. She like "Nashville Cats," which I never much liked, but it's catchy so I knew it whether I liked it or not.

    -=-Winchester Cathedral, New Vaudeville Band. Quirky tune. What do they call this kinda crap? -=-
    "Novelty songs."

    -= My Love, Petula Clark. I kinda remember Petula but don't remember this tune. -=-

    My love is warmer than the warmest sunshine
    Softer than a sigh
    My love is deeper than the deepest ocean
    Wider than the sky
    (Petula Clark is good.)

    I agree with you about the Association, Nancy Sinatra's boots and The Troggs. (But I like "Windy," and it could've been The Association or The Fifth Dimension, similarly fancy singers, arranged harmonies; same genre. I like songs with recorders, so that might have influenced me. "Ruby Tuesday." "That's What I Think," by Cyndi Lauper.)

    Having been critical of you, I'll now go and do the exercise myself and hunker down for your opinion of my opinion. :-)

    ReplyDelete