Thursday, March 05, 2009

Where I'm From meme

Taken from Sandra who took it from places linked on her blog:


Where I'm From

I am from water, from Levi's jeans, and desperate intellectualism.

I am from THE delta, drainage basin of the entire central USofA, sweltering, fertile, redolent of unique organics.

I am from wolfsbane, aconite, monkshood, the loup-garou, the cypress tree, smothered by Spanish moss, delicately lifting its knees above the fecund mire.

I am from the Mardi Gras seat bolted to the top of the ladder and curiosity, from Frank Maier and Byrnes and Moritz.

I am from the stubborn and inquisitive.

From cattin' the streets and a silver nothing plus a gold waitawhile.

I am from Creole Catholicism and Voodoo, Sunday Mass and the savage cannibalism of devouring the flesh of Jesus after Saturday night in "da Quarter." A silver dime on a string around your ankle, wrist, or neck and an asafoetida bag, just in case.

I'm from New Orleans German Irish, crawfish bisque and red-beans-and-rice with pickle meat.

From the dustbowl diaspora, the WWII combat veterans, and the man who in his youth rode his Indian motorcycle transporting cash from whorehouses, but never let slip a "bad" word in front of his children.

I am from ragged albums in dusty closets, concealing more than they reveal, but revealing more than I might have imagined. The yellowing truth of the past, as banal and pedestrian as the present, but as infused with unknown possibility as the future. A human psychological variant of Heisenberg's principle, knowing precisely what we're looking at but with very little idea of the concomitant why.


8 comments:

  1. Cool meme. It is really nice to get to know you a little more thru this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. It's pretty amazing the places people come from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has a great rhythm to it, feels like I'm hearing the music of where you're from. I'm glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great read. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading these. Fascinating and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading yours because you're from a world that's about as opposite as can be from what I grew up in! It's a fun peak into someone's past....
    My "from" is much further north:
    http://teawithren.blogspot.com/2009/07/i-am-from.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very interesting! Thanks for the peek into your world, and for your comment about mine. :)

    ReplyDelete