[Disclaimer added Sunday at midday: The [lame] tag describing this meme in no way implies that lameness is, in and of itself, inherently endemic to things done by Sandra Dodd, whether originated or passed on by her. So Sandra, is that sufficient? Will you now get your team of lawyers to stop calling and knocking on my door. They woke me up!]
1. What time do you get up?
Usually 10ish but on any given day something else might be going on. Chloe is often awake on the PM shift. MJ varies.
2. What do your children wear to [UN!]school?
I thought this was a homeschooling quiz! We wear what Fergus calls "life clothes," [That phrase was actually first used by Marty Dodd with Fergus in Corvallis, Or.!] sometimes know as pajamas. Or shorts. Or whatever we feel like wearing. I usually at least put on some underwear before I come downstairs from my room. Otherwise the girls, if they're up, make rude noises at me.
3. What curriculum have you tried and hated? What have you tried and loved?
Curriculum? We ain't got no curriculum. We don't need no curriculum! I don't have to show you any stinkin' curriculum!
4. Who is your most inspirational homeschooling role model?
MJ and Chloe.
5. Abeka, Charlotte Mason, unschooling, or Classical?
6. Favorite response to “What about socialization?”
My favorite response is: How's your wife and my kids?
But seriously, folks, Chloe recently flew home from Atlanta (and, Boy!, are her arms tired!); she was visiting friends there. We drove to the San Francisco Bay area over the Christmas holidays to visit friends there. Friends from England stayed with us just before the LIFE is Good conference. We hung out with several hundred friends at the conference itself. Etc. ad nauseum.
7. Favorite subject?
8. Favorite field trip ever?
Each of our big trips has been a unique experience. Hell, even our little trips are interesting experiences. Favorite trip is like picking favorite daughter.
9. Best thing about homeschooling?
Independence from the schedule and structure of "normal" society.
10. Sports, music, or art?
Yes, thank you.
11. Beautiful script handwriting or lightning fast accurate typing?
Neither fucking one. My penmanship is shit and my typing is only marginally better and pretty slow. Oh, you mean the kids? I dunno. Who cares?
12. Best one-stop shopping for
Again, I thought this was a homeschooling meme. I'm doing a strikethrough on "school." Now, I can answer. Library. And: Amazon, used book stores, new book stores, et al.
13. One subject you didn’t get to this week:
I always use a subject with my verbs. Otherwise, they get lonely. Verbs are just so fucking needy.
14. What will you do when you run out of kids to teach?
My kids, my wife, and I will never stop learning, sometimes separately, sometimes together, sometimes in interesting combinations with others. Learning is eternal.
15. Ever give school books as holiday or birthday gifts?
Do I look like an asshole? Don't answer that. I have given interesting books as presents.
16. Better late or early (delay formal education at home, or start as young as possible?)
No "formal education" ever, thank you very much.
Learning and playing together. That's how we roll.