Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Armistice Day

Until I was in school, this holiday was Armistice Day, legally defined as "a day to be dedicated to the cause of world peace and to be thereafter celebrated and known as 'Armistice Day'." [Emphasis added] It was changed to "Veterans Day" about the same time that religious ideologues crammed the words "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance and subverted "E pluribus unum" into "In God we trust." We could argue as to whether those are sensible (and Constitutionally acceptable) changes. You can guess my position.

Today I celebrate Armistice Day because IMO, unfortunately, "Veterans Day" has become something of a rallying cry for jingoists. I am a patriot but absolutely not a jingoist.

8 comments:

  1. Hear Hear!
    I couldn't agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my Grandfather served in the Navy for three wars and he would also rather celebrate Armistice Day. nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember hearing "Armistice Day" as a little kid. I'd march in that parade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, y'all. A day celebrating world peace is a fine holiday in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is right on, thank you.

    ReplyDelete