Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

What? Based on my previous post(s) about this holiday you thought I was gonna be all Scroogey and not celebrate today? Well, I guess I fooled you, then.

I am a cynic, I freely admit it. However, remember that in many ways I'm a classicist and the ancient Greek philosophy of Cynicism differs somewhat from the simplistic "cynicism" of today. Historically, Cynicism gave rise to Stoicism. Interestingly, I came to my Cynicism, or cynicism, from [S/s]toicism. It seems I frequently do things ass-backwards. My dad could probably have had a career as an ascetic and the Jesuits profess a Stoic philosophy, at least superficially. The Marines... well, I think Stoicism is the official Marine philosophy. I definitely feel a kinship with the Cynics in the context of the importance of ethics, being critical of dogma, abjuring meaningless metaphysics, living in accord with nature, decrying social convention qua convention, etc.; but I was never, and am not now, into the whole "live on the street and beg" aspect of the original Cynics and I never masturbate in public. Not that I can recall, anyway.

Although I'm not above barking at someone who irritates me, just like the Cynics of old. [Kunikos (cynic) translates as "dog-like," an appellation they embraced.]

And I'm certainly not a full-time cynic or Cynic, especially when I'm being all maudlin and shit. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and so I have a simple, genuine wish for you today:

Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you and yours have a happy, healthy, fun-filled, and love-filled day.

2 comments:

  1. Master Frank, you introduced me to cynicism when I was most in need, for which I will always be grateful. I will never live up to your illustrious example, but please accept my humble thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's all kinda metacynicalistic. Kind of soft and sweet there at the end. You embodied the spirit of the season of gratitude.

    I don't expect you to be going all gaga about a newborn alleged king in a reported manger. As you were, Spartan, until next year maybe. ;-)

    ReplyDelete