Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Share the gratitude #5

Unlike my last coupla gratitude posts which were long and thematic, this one is gonna be short and stochastic. Kinda like me. Stochastic, not sarcastic! This is gratitude time not grumpy time. I'll be short and sarcastic tomorrow. Maybe. Everything is possible.

Oh, and I promised/threatened that this post would be spicy because the last post featured no colorful language, unlike my usual writing style. So, because I keep my promises: Shit, fuck, piss, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits. Now that's colorful language! With gratitude to George Carlin, R.I.P.

I'm grateful for:

1. Our unschooling tribe. From our very first interactions, our fellow unschoolers welcomed us and accepted us and made us part of their group, seemingly instantly. That's something I had never experienced in my previous half-century of life. I love my tribe of unschoolers and I'm grateful for the love and support and friendship they provide.

2. Mambo #5, in honor of this being Gratitude #5 and symbolic of music in general. Music has always been an important part of my life. I love music. It has charms to soothe my savage breast.

3. Johannes Gutenberg. He made the mass production of books possible, bringing information to all the people, not just the elite. When I was a child, books brought the world to me: The physical world, in books describing distant lands. The intellectual world, in books by great minds from the invention of writing til the present. All the various universes of the human condition, as if they were spoken directly to me by the original experiencer. Books are a huge part of my life.

4. Snopes.com, with a nod to factcheck.org. Some folks used to use me as a fact-checking resource. Sometimes I could give them a satisfactory answer in a few minutes but sometimes it took me hours to marshal the history, facts, and arguments to explain their conundrum to their satisfaction. With the advent of snopes, most of the time my response effort was reduced to a few seconds of search followed by a copy-and-paste in a return email. Voila! The smart ones even figured out that they could use snopes themselves without bothering to send the material to me first. Hooray! Although I do confess that I once sat and did some figuring and it turns out that Bill Gates actually did pay me circa $5 for each and every email I sent (while I was working at Microsoft). Context is important for facts. The "money for emailing" idiocy is debunked here.

5. Last, but certainly not least, and because this is the spicy gratitude post, I'm grateful for Hot Dinosaur Sex because, let's face it, who isn't?


You know they're about to have some!

3 comments:

  1. I appreciate the colorful language, thanks for sharing Frank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, is it gettin' warm in heyah? All hail the HDS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly appreciate your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete