Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Moment of peace (December blogfest)

Moment of peace. An hour or a day or a week of solitude. What was the quality of your breath? The state of your mind? How did you get there?

I was thinking about skipping this one but then decided to give my take on it. For me, the idea espoused here equates to internal stillness. I know people who meditate. I think I understand the concept. The closest I come to that is when I'm soaking in the bathtub/shower, my mind floating among the quanta. Otherwise, my brain is always gnawing at something. Always. Except...

Interestingly, I frequently achieve a significant, mind-expanded inner stillness during animated conversations among the four of us. Chloe, MJ, Ronnie, and I will be engaged in a spirited discussion which will then mutate to the point where the three of them are embroiled in some specific concept, leaving me in a quiet conversational eddy. As I sit and watch them attempt to unscrew the inscrutable, I find myself slipping into an exceedingly peaceful state, my awareness open but unengaged, not actively gnawing at anything, my needs nonexistent, my wants nonexistent, the flow of time nonexistent. Ronnie, MJ, and Chloe are intensely engaged, their minds integrating, synthesizing, their brilliant exchanges of energetic thought almost visible in their intensity; but in those moments I feel that I am a stillness at the center of things, the shanti of the East.

3 comments: