Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Restaurant moment (December blogfest)

Restaurant moment. Share the best restaurant experience you had this year. Who was there? What made it amazing? What taste stands out in your mind?

I have two from this year.

1. January. After my dad's funeral on Friday (January 23, 2009), Saturday night we went to see my old buddy Big Daddy O play music while having a family restaurant get-together in classic Noo Awlins style. There were 17 of us ranging from my 60 years of age down to nephew Paul's new baby at less than a year. We ate po-boys and other delish Noo Awlins foods, consumed delightful adult beverages, and danced and/or just listened while BDO played his heart out. We toasted Marty (my dad) and celebrated his wonderful life with stories and memories.


2. August. We have kids so we don't really get to have "dates" very often. However, this past August, the girls were away at NBTSC when we celebrated our anniversary(#19!). We took ourselves to the Bellevue (Washington) Ruth's Chris Steak House for a lovely dinner for two. RCSH has become a national chain from its pedestrian solo beginnings on Broad St. in New Orleans. They don't offer Kobe beef (Tajima, Wagyu) but they serve a quality American steak and it was tasty. Add in a coupla champagne cocktails (I'm a sucker for kir royale made with M&C White Star.) and a decent wine, then follow it with a competent bread pudding drenched in whiskey sauce and you have a nice meal. What I enjoyed more than the food itself, however, was the experience.

I love it when Ronnie and I have time alone together to reconnect as a couple. I love to eat at quality restaurants, places where they understand the proper pace for a pleasant meal. I also like to dress well. Occasionally. Yes, you'll usually see me in shorts and a T-shirt or jeans and a T-shirt and you'll never see me in yuppie corporate casual "slacks" and "dressy" collared shirts (Dear gawd, how I detest that clothing niche!); but in addition to my typical seriously-casual couture, I do enjoy the feel of a nice suit or even my tuxedo with a hand-tied bowtie. It's just so civilized, especially here in the Northwest where people even go to the ballet, opera, or symphony in jeans. Sigh!

Anyway, the total experience of our anniversary dinner date was delightful and a highlight of the year in eating out.

No comments:

Post a Comment