Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm that dad!

An impromptu blog carnival started by Ronnie based on a post by Flo. Got all that?

Traditional parents look at weltanschauung unschoolers and only see crazy levels of indulgence, a constant flow of socially unnormal behaviors! Oh, dear God! Yes. That's right. I'm that dad. I truly understand that from a traditional perspective it's crazy because traditional American child-rearing is all about control. I'm not. The phrase "my kids" is not the conceptual equivalent of "my bicycle."

My kids are practically adults now but even when they were younger, they would:

Stay up til all hours or even all night, because I'm that dad.
Eat whatever, whenver they want, because I'm that dad.
Watch R-rated movies, because I'm that dad.
Use all the interesting words English has to offer, because I'm that dad.
Do dangerous things, because I'm that dad.
Hold hands and hug me in public, even as older teens, because I'm that dad.

I'm that dad because they are those kids, bright, eager, interesting, and still fully possessed of their never-lost sense of wonder at this incredible universe.

18 comments:

  1. "I'm that dad because they are those kids..."

    Crying now. Love it. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're an awesome dad!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bottom line is you take JOY in your kids. :) A child carries that with her all of her life and knows that she is deserving of love and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i second what Ronnie said - yes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent, as always, Frank. I especially liked the following sentence:

    "I'm that dad because they are those kids, bright, eager, interesting, and still fully possessed of their never-lost sense of wonder at this incredible universe."

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are definitely on my "favorite dad" list.
    Actually I'm a huge fan of the whole bunch of you Maier people :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely post, Frank. We are all part of the whole, aren't we

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed this post and enjoyed sharing with my dh!

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'The phrase "my kids" is not the conceptual equivalent of "my bicycle."'

    I am soooo stealing that! You rock, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, my dear friends! And a hearty "Hello!" to my new friends! Thank you for your comments in general and kinds words specifically. What a delight this carnival has turned out to be, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful. I've been enjoying all of these. Taking a few minutes at a time to wander through them.

    And thanks for directing me to your gymnastics photos. Looks like you were at least a step or two above aerial cartwheel land. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Tracy! The whole "I'm that mom/dad" carnival has been fascinating and wonderful.

    My gymnastics career was high school and college in the 60s. It was a fascinating time to be doing gymnastics. When I started in high school in the eaerly 60s we often did floor-ex on the actual wood gym floor. A season of that got to be pretty tough on the lower body. And when I first started, rope climb was still an event in men's all-around. Ahhhh, the "good" old days.

    ReplyDelete