Thursday, August 26, 2010

Katrina +5

Five years ago, we had the Zombie Princess just about ready to leave New Orleans for the deep blue and the family sailing adventure we'd talked about for a while. However, somebody named Katrina was occupying most of the Gulf of Mexico and coming to visit New Orleans. Five years ago today, we began emptying ZP and tying her up in anticipation of a Category 5 storm. When we were done with the best preparations we could think of, we drove to my sister Chrissy's house to ride out the storm. Having done that for other bad 'canes, including Betsy and Camille, I hit the bed and went to sleep.

The next morning, Ronnie and Chrissy, who had stayed up all night watching the news, woke me saying, "C'mon we're leaving. This is gonna be bad! We don't wanna stay." So we packed the car and headed out, our little nuclear family in our car and Chrissy with my dad in hers. My brother Chuck lives in Houston, although he was out of town at that time, and he graciously told us over the phone that we could go crash at his house. After spending teens of hours in a drive which usually takes 5 or so, we arrived. In retrospect, I'm so glad we evacuated.

The Zombie Princess after Katrina but before Rita


Her logo


ZP after Katrina, in the middle of the photo with the blue sailcover, still afloat unlike most of her neighbors


Less fortunate marina neighbors


I still hate that fuckin' storm. And I detest the inept response of FEMA; I will never forgive them.

1 comment:

  1. I'll never forget our trip in April of 2006. We drove around surveying the damage and saw many boats aground. I absolutely concur with your final thoughts.

    ReplyDelete