Friday, September 10, 2010

Eight is Enough

No, not the tv show, the meme. From Bonnie.

8 Books I've read recently or am reading now:
Egypt's False Prophet, Akhenaten – Reeves (a study of the first monotheist)
The Glass Rainbow – James Lee Burke (I love Burke)
The Grand Design – Hawking and Mlodinow (Starting soon)
Paul is Undead – Goldsher (Zombie novel of the 60's music scene)
Ready About – Hoyt (examination of sailboat design and thoughtless adherence to tradition)
Truman – McCullough (bio of Harry S., my birth-year president)
The Vegetarian Myth – Keith (Sadly illogical and vitriolic)
Worth Dying For – Child (upcoming Jack Reacher novel)

8 Songs or Albums I listen to all the time:
AWB – Average White Band
Boom Boom – John Lee Hooker
Fiyo on the Bayou – Neville Brothers
Good Old Boys – Randy Newman
Greatest Hits – Van Morrison
Legend – Bob Marley
Rock & Roll Gumbo – Professor Longhair
Wcyaya - Osibisa

8 Things I love:
Family
Flying
Friends
Reading
Roadtripping
Sailing
SCUBA
Space

8 Things I've learned this year:
My children are adults
It's possible that I, too, am an adult
20 years of marriage and child-rearing goes by in an instant
Confirmed that there is no end to human stupidity
Confirmed that there is no end to human magnificence
I have a lot of friends
That ain't 8 but it's what I have to offer


8 new recipes I want to try and make by the end of the year:
Bobotie (Family cookbook)
Oysters Roffignac (Commander's Palace)
Pigeonneaux Paradis (Antoine's)
Red Sonya cocktail (Family cookbook)
Redfish Nicoise (Arnaud's)
Schwarzwalderkirschtorte (Family cookbook)
Shrimp Mariniere (Antoine's)
Tournedos Royal (Brennan's)

8 Favorite online hangouts:
AeroTrader (planes for sale)
Expedia
Facebook
Familyrun.ning
Friends' blogs
Snopes
Yachtworld (boats for sale)
Yahoo!Groups

8 Projects I need to work on:
Exterior house painting
Finish work in master bath
Varnish touchup on livingroom and diningroom wood floors
Regular cardiovascular exercise
Run to the dump with large junk items
Install toilet in basement
Repair/reinstall kitchen planter/windowbox
New base mouldings on porch columns

8 people I think should do this:
I don't tag

3 comments:

  1. An adult, Frank? Maybe. Maybe. ;) But only in the best possible sense of the word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things you've learned and project were prioritized somehow other than alphabetically. That's cool.

    "Human magnificence." Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Kelly, I accept your comment in the best possible sense of it. Adulthood. What does that mean, anyway?

    Sandra, thanks for noticing that the others were alphabetized. (wink)

    ReplyDelete