Saturday, September 22, 2012

What we've been reading (9/2012)

Aadel, a G+ unschooling blogger started a blog hop for what folks are reading. Since all four of us are always reading something (or even several things at once), I figured that'd be a fun one to join in on. So here's a quick list.


[Nota Bene: My friends and regular readers (all four of five of 'em) will note that this is a link to a Christian unschooler's blog. Don't freak out. I'm still the hateful, cynical, atheist bastard I've always been. I simply have a broad range of friends of all persusions and beliefs. You know that. Sort of.]

The list:

Frank (me, aka husband, aka dad): Recently finished Evolution: The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. In progress Space Chronicles from Neil deGrasse Tyson. I love him. He's this generation's Isaac Asimov. On the bookshelf, waiting for me to get to the last page of Space Chronicles is Creole Belle, a new offering from James Lee Burke, one of my favorite contemporary novelists.

Ronnie (aka wife, aka mom): The only one I know she's working on right now is Odd Apocalypse, Dean Koontz's latest in his Odd Thomas series. I liked the first couple of these but the more recent ones are weaker. This one I didn't even bother to finish and that's rare for me. I'll be interested to hear her comments when she finishes.

MJ (aka daughter, aka older sister): She just finished Game of Thrones, the George R. R. Martin blockbuster. She's now talking about Railsea by China Mielville. It's a wacky take on Moby Dick. Sounds kind of interesting and amusing, really.

Chloe (aka daughter, aka younger sister): We were recently on vacation in San Diego and Chloe picked up a lovely leather-bound, silver edged volume of The Collected Works of H. P. Lovecraft there. She's been wading through that. She enjoys his style and command of English vocabulary. She also spends a lot of time on online fanfic sites for Harry Potter or The Avengers, reading and writing fan fiction.

Datzawl fer now. See ya.

5 comments:

  1. I really need to read Game of Thrones myself. I'm writing down some of these books to go check them out! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I noticed your post. Both girls are going to the local community college this Fall (tomorrow! - Monday 9/24)so we are technically no longer unschoolers. A new phase of life for us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading "A Universe From Nothing: Why There is Something Rather Than Nothing" by Lawrence Krauss. It seems like it might be up your alley. I'll have to check out Railsea. I *love* China Mieville.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Krauss generally but I haven't read that one. Thanks for the recommendation. Railsea looks like fun. I might read it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete