Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Roadtrip: Day 006


Roadtrip: Day 006

Sad night’s sleep without Ribgy and a low-key breakfast. Another perfect day. We decided to do the Icicle Loop Trail, a 4-mile hike. Ranger miles, of course, which are about ½ or twice human miles, depending on your perspective. (wink) Ronnie’s fitbit said it was 13.5K steps and we took 3.5 hours. We had a wonderful lunch stop and our unhurried pace made it a beautiful hike. Portions of it in the sun with that lovely hot woodsy smell, portions in the shade with the cooling breeze from the water and that lovely water-forest smell.

 

Lunch was PB&Js and water from the camelback. I still dislike that stuff. Maybe I’ll start filling one camelback with lemonade or something. We shared a bit of our sandwiches with a curious chipmunk who kept coming back for more.

Now we’re back at our campsite, relaxing and recuperating. Ronnie is sitting with her feet in the river. I’m in the tent trailer writing this while drinking a nice, cold Coke. Serendipitously, my Coke says “Share a Coke with - *an Adventurer*”. Really!

Ha! Ok, I will.

Ronnie came to fetch me down to the water. It felt really nice to sit on the big log and hang my feet and shins in the cool water. Ronnie had crossed the river and come back and built a cairn on the log, which we unfortunately toppled when we sat down. The cairn, not the huge log. Art is ephemeral.

We spent the rest of the afternoon in our camp chairs in the screen room. I read “The Odyssey” on my kindle as we lazed into the evening. When we had net access yesterday, I downloaded a half-dozen new novels from the library for evening entertainment. Ronnie took the leftover steak and noodles and sauteed them with some fresh green onions in butter and Tony’s for a tasty supper. Now, we’ve moved into the tent trailer and I’m finishing this at the table as Apollo seeks his rest beyond the Western horizon.

As we will, too, before long.

Meanwhile, in 52 B.C.E. my legionaries are in their first day after the devastating battle with the barbarians in what we now know as the Hindu Kush and are awaiting the return of said barbarian horde to finish them off. O tempora, o mores, o plot complications don’t fail me now.

1 comment:

  1. Loving your commentaries. I feel relaxed just reading this one, despite the fact that it is raining and grey and miserable here and the last thing I want to do is dangle my feet in our stream!

    ReplyDelete